Toggle Menu

Join/Renew

Prior clinical experience with children/adolescents

HomeLatest ActivityForumsWebinar DiscussionsDiscussion: Applying to Clinical InternshipsPrior clinical experience with children/adolescents

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rhonda Sena 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Leigh Spivey
    Participant

“I am a doctoral student in counseling psychology and we don’t get much experience with kids beyond what we seek out outside of our program. How would you recommend tailoring experiences that aren’t specific to children to fit with sites that are child specific? Most of my experience in community mental health and college center (young adult and older).

Do sites look at applications with minimal child experience?”

Most child specific internships are looking for someone who has had at least a year of child and adolescent experience. If might be helpful to speak with your DCT about the possibility of identifying child experience opportunities which may be possible withing a community mental health organization.

Rhonda Sena
    Participant

I think you will need to have a significant number of hours with children and adolescents in order to be competitive in applying to child-specific sites.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Quick Links