Toggle Menu

Join/Renew

Anxiety as etiologic factor in gender dysphoria

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fristad.1@osu.edu 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Anonymous

Given the higher incidence of anxiety in female AYAs (and the possibly accelerating negative effects of social media), do you see in this a partial explanation for the inversion of the historic sex ratio in gender dysphoria (higher in natal males than females) which is now disproportionately natal females.

I haven’t seen any literature to that effect, but that would likely require a more careful review of the gender dysphoria literature.

Anonymous

Aitken, M., Steensma, T. D., Blanchard, R., VanderLaan, D. P., Wood, H., Fuentes, A., . . . Zucker, K. J. (2015). Evidence for an altered sex ratio in clinic-referred adolescents with gender dysphoria. J Sex Med, 12(3), 756-763. doi:10.1111/jsm.12817

Littman, L. (2018). Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports. PLoS ONE, 13(8), e0202330. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0202330

Thanks for your citations– in regard to your question about we might increase anxiety by promoting avoidance of things that provoke anxiety, I am not suggesting to avoid social media, I am suggesting to use it in moderation and not to significantly decrease other healthy  behaviors, such as sports/exercise, religious activities, and other face-to-face interactions in the service of many hours/day on social media.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.